A Bloody End To A Bloody And Fiery Crime Spree



It started at 11:30AM on Sunday, when 23 year old James Patrick Dillon ran into a 39-year-old woman on 36th Street near 28th Avenue. Dillon then proceeded to slash the victim on the back of the head and face before making his way from the scene. 

The woman was taken to Sinai Hospital, where she is in stable condition, but the day wasn't over for Dillon.  

Over 3 hours later, he visited a liquor store on 38-18 Astoria Blvd around 3PM. After an altercation with a homeless man Dillon ended up slashing 55-year-old store owner George Patouhas who tried to intervene.

According to police, he then tossed accelerate onto the victims and lit it on fire, catching the 61 year old homeless man ablaze.   

Patouhas was rushed to Sanai Hospital, where he was later pronounced dead due to his injuries. The homeless man was taken to Cornell Medical Center and is in stable condition. 

Dillon however, still wasn't done. At this time, hundreds of police officers had began the search for the suspect.

He then proceeded to break into a home on 42nd Street around 5PM, but quickly left without incident after a female resident called 911. 

At 5PM, Dillon was spotted by two NYPD Critical Response Command officers, who quickly confronted him. He could be seen carrying a knife and a bottle of flammable liquid in the back of a 36th Street location. 

The two officers instructed the suspect to drop the weapons, however he refused, and began spraying the officers with the substance. They quickly took action, opening fire and striking Dillon several times, including once in the leg. 

He was taken to Elmhurst Hospital along with the two officers who had suffered hand burns due to Dillons attack. 

According to Assistant Chief Diana Pizzuti, Dillon is listed in critical condition. 

According to locals, Dillon was often a manacing character, who intimidated people. Police have said that they are still investigating a motive to the brutal attacks, and that Dillon suffered from psychological problems. Family members told NY1 that perhaps he was not taking his medication.